• Announcements

• c3ptik

Club Shop Moved and Re-Opened   04/03/2017

As we look to migrate the club over to Facebook the Club Shop has been re-opened at the following location:
      https://www.facebook.com/pg/ibizaoc/shop/
    • c3ptik

We are migrating! IMPORTANT - Please read   08/07/2017

Over the past couple of years we've seen an influx of productivity and engagement across our social networking platforms. So much so, that the social realm as you may know, is overtaking the likes of websites and forums. We have been number crunching and feel it is best that we go with the flow and embrace the social media world.
      We have decided to transfer the club over to our already hugely popular Facebook Page and Facebook Group. With over 14k members on our Facebook group alone there is even more engagement with other members from across the world. If you haven't already, now is the time to give our Page a Like and join the Group for discussions.
      The website will soon become a redirect to the Facebook Page and Group. If you have anything of importance posted on the forum, now would be a great time to grab it and post it on our group.

A further message will be sent before the switch.

Regards,
      The IOC Team
Sam Needham

Sam's 2005 Ibiza TDi

56 posts in this topic

On Tuesday, I was finally able to hand over the cash and become the owner of my first car! It's a 2005 Seat Ibiza Sport with a 1.9TDi Powerplant that produces around 99bhp. Now I know many are thinking that a 1.9 Turbo Diesel will surely be a bit much on the insurance front - and you'd be right! However, the insurance costs really aren't too bad in comparison to a lot of cars on the road! Anyway, it does look pretty good and really looks nice in Platinum Grey - however does need some work which is to be expected for a car with 123,000 miles. But first, some photos from during the buying (and slightly after) process! 8)

IMG_20160810_133452876.jpgIMG_20160816_181734746_HDR.jpgIMG_20160816_195409201.jpgIMG_20160816_195146544.jpgIMG_20160816_200153541.jpg

It certainly does need a good detail to say the least! Especially the Roof Lining, which is absolutely disgusting! :goodgrief:

IMG_20160816_195437822.jpg

As well as this, there is also a few issues that I've found so far which include water marks on the Drivers Seat, Missing Seat Adjustment Trim on both Driver and Passenger Seats, as well as the Passenger Door Cable Boot being detached (although that is partly fixed now) as well as the heavily cracked front Fog Lamp. So, there's quite a bit to do! I'm going to add two lists which will change over time and show what work needs to be done, and what mods are yet to be done, or are completed (however, for a good while at least, most Mods will be out of the question due to Insurance being so ridiculous for a driver of my age)!

Current Work Required (UPDATED: 28/12/16):

- Replacement Trim for Driver & Passenger Seat

- Replacement Gear Knob (current one is very worn)

- Untwist Passenger Seatbelt

- Investigate cold start issues, could potentially be Glow Plug related.

- Sort out more permanent solution for the leaking rear washer - will most likely just involve a full wiper delete.

Desired Modification List (subject to change, some modifications could be several years off):

- Seats from a Higher Spec Model (the current Driver Seat has very little foam on the left bolster which makes it a little uncomfortable after a while)

- Chrome Surrounds for the Dash Gauges

- Chrome Surrounds for Air Vents (subject to change)

- Front Seat Radiator Grille with Chrome Surround

- Honeycomb Radiator Grille (grille next to Headlamps)

- Facelift Front Headlamps

- Cupra/Facelift Front Bumper (most likely will be a year or so down the road)

- Some new wheels, either wheels from the FR/Cupra or some wheels from an Octavia VRS, really fallen in love with those!

So far, the car is very early into its life with myself as an owner, and has quite a few things lined up over the coming years. But, let's put it this way, I think it's going to show up some interesting things during that time! I'll try to keep the thread updated as and when I can for when the car has new bits and pieces done to it - so do stay tuned! :laugh:

OvErKiLL likes this

It was about lunchtime today that I decided to embark on a job with the Ibiza. As we know, the Roof Lining was far from anything to be desired and was in desperate need of some love - and I simply couldn't wait until the entire car got its first detail. Here are a few photos to show the sheer horrors that laid within this Ibiza...

IMG_20160819_142139398_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160819_142148669_HDR.jpg

@OvErKiLL recommended several products but because I'm impatient, I decided to go for some some options from the local car accessories store and Halfords - with a stiff brush being from the Accessory Store and Halford's Upholstery Cleaner being enlisted for the job. Although Halford's Own-Brand products aren't always ideal for the job, I wanted something cheap just to see if there could be some level of improvement. In the beginning, I started work using the brush I had picked up, but found it to be way too damaging to the fibres - essentially tearing them out of the roof, as you can see here.

IMG_20160819_164418246_HDR.jpg

So, I decided to break out the good old fashioned Microfiber Towel and do it that way, and it certainly did work well! After several runs and an entire bottle of upholstery cleaner later (I was pretty liberal to say the least), almost an hour of sitting in the car with the heaters on full blast was required in order to try and dry out the interior a little bit based on the fact it had started raining, typical Britain! And yes, I know the car is low on diesel! :rasberry:

IMG_20160819_164447494_HDR.jpg

I will most likely give it another clean when I fully detail the car and hopefully that'll bring it up even more, but I couldn't seem to shift these weird marks, they look almost like rust marks - and no matter how much rubbing with the solution, brushes or microfiber towels, they wouldn't shift. Any suggestions on what they actually are and how to go about sorting them out? Any guidance would be highly appreciated! ^_^

IMG_20160819_164430208_HDR.jpg

Although the interior isn't quite fully dry yet, I was still able to refit the Sun Visors and Grab Handles and am letting the interior dry overnight with the windows very slightly ajar to let some air flow through. Even though it's not perfect, it's much, much better than before and the pictures really don't do it justice (apologies for some blurry shots, my phone doesn't enjoy anything other than good lighting situations)!

IMG_20160819_194052708.jpgIMG_20160819_194146873.jpg

23 hours ago, OvErKiLL said:

try a strong apc mix of britemax grimeout or bilt hamber surfex hd :)http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/bilt-hamber-surfex-hd-cat17.html free 2 day dpd delivery

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look into that stuff!
Today, I had the oppurtunity to take the Seat and give it its first tank of diesel in my ownership, treated it to the finest diesel in the area from Shell, with some V-Power Premium Diesel! Hopefully that'll clear that 1.9TDi out a little and give it a helping hand! ^_^

IMG_20160820_114235393.jpg

However, unfortunately, I noticed this after some rain today... Moisture build-up in the Indicator Lenses, so that's another job on the to-do list! :goodgrief:

IMG_20160820_124859816.jpg

common problem with the mk4's same with the headlights and tail lights, mine steam up really bad.

So, today, I went to put a can of Tyre Weld in the Spare Wheel Compartment and found this. AGH!

IMG_20160822_143824983.jpg

As for any car owner, water here is never a good sign. Although water here was checked for when I went to buy the Ibiza, this water seems to have been sloshing around for some time and just was in the far edge of the tyre's storage space. So, I have a feeling that I'm the proud owner of a pretty leaky little Ibiza! :yeahright:

The car had been driven in the rain this morning and there wasn't any leaks to report of or signs of water ingress during this time, so I decided to move it down to my Mum's garage (nearer to the house), and break out the hosepipe to see if I could get some water seepage through the seals or by other means. After a pretty vigorous blast around the entire car (decided to check the entire car), there was no leaks to be found! So for now, the boot floor has been removed, but the Spare Wheel has been replaced (nice to have a full sized wheel, too) and we will give it a little while to see if we get anymore water ingress into the rear.

IMG_20160822_153605379_HDR.jpg

A little bit different from the recent repair posts, as the Ibiza seems to have now stopped leaking (happily)! Today, whilst driving about, I had a small run-in with the Police when I spotted something pretty rare for the British Islands - a 2006 Ford Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor! It's pretty nice to see one out in the wild! Couldn't resist the temptation to stop and take some photos of it alongside my Ibiza, enjoy! ^_^

IMG_20160829_131215419_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160829_131227949_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160829_131246983_HDR.jpg

This morning, I noticed that the Air Conditioning System smelt pretty awful (especially when it was first turned on), so I thought it was time to do something about it. A quick trip to Halfords later, and I picked up this can of Air-Con Purifier that's designed to kill bacteria in the A/C System and also remove them nasty odours. After leaving the can to do its magic for around 10 minutes and letting the car air for several hours, the smell of the product does still seem to be there, but I'm sure that'll disappear over time!

IMG_20160902_193731279_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160902_140512979_HDR.jpg

I can't comment on whether the treatment has worked or not as I haven't driven the car since, but I'll have to report back my findings! ^_^

One of my next projects will have to be the Cup Holder. Although I probably won't really use the Cup Holder, it bugs me an awful lot that it doesn't work and that other passengers won't be able to use it, either. After around 2 hours of fettling, I still haven't managed to free it, so it looks like I will have to get a new one from somewhere and get it fitted into the car - it really does bug me, though! :wtf:

IMG_20160902_193755126_HDR.jpg

This morning, I noticed that the Air Conditioning System smelt pretty awful (especially when it was first turned on), so I thought it was time to do something about it. A quick trip to Halfords later, and I picked up this can of Air-Con Purifier that's designed to kill bacteria in the A/C System and also remove them nasty odours. After leaving the can to do its magic for around 10 minutes and letting the car air for several hours, the smell of the product does still seem to be there, but I'm sure that'll disappear over time!

IMG_20160902_193731279_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160902_140512979_HDR.jpg

I can't comment on whether the treatment has worked or not as I haven't driven the car since, but I'll have to report back my findings! 

One of my next projects will have to be the Cup Holder. Although I probably won't really use the Cup Holder, it bugs me an awful lot that it doesn't work and that other passengers won't be able to use it, either. After around 2 hours of fettling, I still haven't managed to free it, so it looks like I will have to get a new one from somewhere and get it fitted into the car - it really does bug me, though! :wtf:

IMG_20160902_193755126_HDR.jpg

Did you change the cabin filter too? Really worthwhile doing if not!

On a side note, I have an as new cup holder for £25 posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, brettblade said:

Did you change the cabin filter too? Really worthwhile doing if not!

On a side note, I have an as new cup holder for £25 posted.

I wouldn't have thought it would need a cabin filter at this stage, it's at 122,900 Miles at the moment, with the last filter being fitted in April at 117,500 miles. However, I might take it out and at least see if there's anything unpleasant stuck in the filter and just give it a brush for now until I have the time to replace it!

In regards to the Cup Holder, I used 1stchoice.co.uk to find a Cup Holder and paid £30 overall. Still waiting for it to be delivered though, as it was meant to arrive today (this afternoon, I was at home from college and is the only real free time for the next few weeks that I would have had to do it), I also ordered the Radio Removal Tool from JustAudioShop.com over a week ago now, but they haven't even dispatched the product, so I'll be getting into contact with them tomorrow to see what's taking so long. Hopefully, this Cup Holder from a scrap Ibiza will do the trick, otherwise I'll be back on the hunt again! :laugh:

So I'm cheaper AND better service haha! Give me a shout for anything else mate, I've been breaking Ibizas for a couple of years now and have 100s of bits.

After waiting over a week for the Cup Holder to arrive, it finally arrived yesterday! So, I jumped on the opportunity to get it fitted, as the old, jammed holder was really starting to bug me! Although it's quite hands-on, it's not that difficult to do! Although there already is a guide on here about replacing the Cup Holder, I'm working on a new, more up-to-date guide with higher quality images, just to help people out who also had the same crisis as me! ;)

IMG_20160914_175711071_HDR.jpg

I will post the link to that guide here once it's completed!

Also, after @brettblade suggested that I check the Cabin Filter to see if it needs replacement, I did that and to me, it didn't look too too bad! A little grubby, but certainly not what I'd call horrific, however, I might put a new one in at some point just to help things along!

IMG_20160914_182228393_HDR.jpg

So, I spoke too soon about my car being mechanically sound... :yeahright:

IMG_20160915_140845089_HDR.jpg

Today, the Seat had some pretty nasty knocking noises just as I set off. It happens whenever the wheel is turned and is very inconsistent when it makes the clunking noises. It also makes some not so nice sounds when driving, so the trip I was about to take had to be abandoned and the car limped back home, as I identified something was up pretty quickly. Here's a small video doing some slow manoeuvres that demonstrates the clunking that was going on.

The car is being taken in by the garage next Wednesday so will be sat for a few days. However, it'd be nice to be pointed into the direction of potential points of failure, I spoke to the previous owner on the phone (employee at the garage in question), and he claims it had a new Steering Rack fitted when he bought the car last August (and he had done 20,000 miles in the car since). So, it could be a whole host of things by the look of it! :rasberry:

The knocking noise won't be too bad to fix, Jack the car up and see if there's any play in the wheel, if yes then it'll be a ball joint, worst thing it'll be is a cv joint but could just be a drop link

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Chrisjop said:

The knocking noise won't be too bad to fix, Jack the car up and see if there's any play in the wheel, if yes then it'll be a ball joint, worst thing it'll be is a cv joint but could just be a drop link

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jacking the car up may prove kinda difficult, as it's missing a jack and is one of the many things I need to get round to picking up.. ;)

Don't trust the supplied jack for anything more than changing a wheel in a dire emergency. A proper trolley jack isn't expensive. Get a set of axle stands as well if you're going to be placing any part of your anatomy under the car. 

Is it just the jack you're missing or the whole toolkit? I should have a few in the shed. 

2 hours ago, steev said:

Don't trust the supplied jack for anything more than changing a wheel in a dire emergency. A proper trolley jack isn't expensive. Get a set of axle stands as well if you're going to be placing any part of your anatomy under the car. 

Is it just the jack you're missing or the whole toolkit? I should have a few in the shed. 

I was only planning on using the jack just so there was a little more space to have a look, as the car is pretty low and even when laying on the floor, it's too low to see anything. Just getting a tad bit of height for a moment would be useful. However, I am planning on picking some up at some point, it's also just the jack missing - breaker bar, etc. is still there!

I'll have a rummage in the shed when I'm there in the week if you want? Say a tenner posted?

17 hours ago, brettblade said:

Cup holder still looks to be missing a bit lol!

And what bit would that be? Seems fine to me! ;)

So, today, in preparation for the car being taken away tomorrow to be checked, I had to move the car away from the wall as it wasn't going to be possible to get in through the driver's door. The clunking noise continued, but whilst I just got out of the car, the Power Steering Light came on with a beeping noise - and low and behold, no power steering - made it almost impossible to put back into the space (but with enough room).

Just so I could find what the specific error was, I went to fetch the ECU reader and then, car refuses to start... Turns over, and just dies completely. However, after a little while and about 8 attempts, it finally managed to fire and get going, but the power steering is fine now, and the noise has completely disappeared - drove around in the same way that I did in that video, and not a single noise. From what I can see, the springs seem perfectly intact and it seems to drive fine. However, it's still going in tomorrow to be checked over - when the engine is off and wheel input is made, there is a slight spring noise still there, but only very faintly (and I'm assuming when driving, but the engine would be too loud for it to be heard).

Hopefully, whatever is wrong is found, and solved! Depending on how things go, it may also need a new battery on it! But we will have to see!

3 minutes ago, brettblade said:

Doesn't seem to have the middle bit? May just be the angle.

That's weird, not seen that part of it before. I never knew they were meant to have it, as from these photos, they don't have it either (and neither does the original part)!

Image result for Ibiza 6L Cup Holder

It's really commonly broken off, should definitely have that bit though. The one I have does, that'll teach you to buy elsewhere!

Well, I'm pleased to say that the car is back from the garage and is back in action! Unfortunately, the repair wasn't covered under warranty as it was apparently due to 'Pothole Damage'. So, a new Strut Top Mount and Spring have been fitted on the offside and is back up and running once again. However, at the moment, at least, the car is sitting a fair bit higher on that side, but I'm sure it just needs bedding in and it'll settle down sooner or later.

At least the car is driveable now, although the little plastic cover that goes on the top of the strut hasn't been refitted and has just been left there which is a pain in the butt, as it's very difficult to refit it thanks to something being mounted over the top of the offside strut. But, oh well, the car now somewhat works! ;)