Garnier81

FR ride quality

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, looking into buying a 2.0 tdi FR.  

I've been put off the Ibiza in the past due to almost every review saying the ride is very harsh, is this still the case?  

How does the ride compare to say a Fabia VRS 2.0tdi? 

Hi Garnier,

I've had one since last summer and I love it. My daily commute is 70 mi. The ride is definitely firm compared to family cars, but not bad. My wife and 3-year old did not comment it and slept most of the way on a four-hour trip across DK (on summer tyres).

I take speed bumps faster than most without problems with ground clearance and after four months on softer profile winter tyres on 16" rims, I look forward to getting back on the original 17".

I have no idea how it compares to its rivals (except it beat a Mini Cooper SD on a track), but I recommend that you pick something you enjoy the look of :-)

Good luck, 
Karsten

Ride wise, the Ibiza FR is a tad bit harsher compared to the standard Ibiza SE. But this isn't something of much notice. Depends what your really after. I've owned both but the FR is more responsive on the roads.  

I do think this gives it better grip on the road and makes it a nippy hatchback, when it comes to Roundabouts. And all 4 wheels are glued to the road which I find better. 

I've driven other cars , had a courtesy car Vauxhall Corsa. Steering light ,nimble and accurate but felt a touch too light on the roads. Felt like I was going to be blown away. Think it's a lighter car than the Ibiza. 

Test drive a Citroen C3 (request of my friend And she's Citroen fan lol) steering was unresponsive and a lot of body roll from that type of car.

It really does depend on the type of driver you are. 

I've got lots of speedbumps in my neighbourhood so I've learned to take it easy going over them in my FR versus a typical hatchback so if you've got lots of speedbumps or potholes on your regular routes you will notice the occasional bang up through the front if you hit one going quicker than planned but the stiffer set-up pays off over good surfaces as the car feels really planted and doesn't lurch about in corners.  That's from my experience, anyway, and I'm a conservative driver.  I read about the stiffness and the extra road noise from the 17s but they looked too good to downsize 8)  Try and test drive one in an area with lots of traffic calming bumps and roundabouts if comfort is a concern.

1 hour ago, Collie_Mac said:

I've got lots of speedbumps in my neighbourhood so I've learned to take it easy going over them in my FR versus a typical hatchback so if you've got lots of speedbumps or potholes on your regular routes you will notice the occasional bang up through the front if you hit one going quicker than planned but the stiffer set-up pays off over good surfaces as the car feels really planted and doesn't lurch about in corners.  That's from my experience, anyway, and I'm a conservative driver.  I read about the stiffness and the extra road noise from the 17s but they looked too good to downsize 8)  Try and test drive one in an area with lots of traffic calming bumps and roundabouts if comfort is a concern.

You've hit the nail on the head there mate. I think the ride isn't TOO stiff but it reminds me to look after my suspension and tyres because I know I need to slow down/ avoid potholes or bumps. When you're on an open B road with a decent surface though, the stiffness couldn't be better, it massively helps with grip and I feel in complete control over the car, go-kart like handling.

having had classic mini's and a mini cooper s which was very firm. It feels like a cloud in comparison !

day to day i dont notice it just avoid potholes and bumps and its okay.

When it comes to being able to open the throttle up though it feels perfect.

I've lowered my fr on 35mm apex springs which didn't help the ride comfort at all, tempted to put original springs on

On another note I'm thinking of selling mine if you're interested?